[CQ-Contest] 160 SSB

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 160 SSB
From: john.devoldere@pandora.be (john devoldere, ON4UN)
Date: Tue Feb 25 15:34:04 2003
Hi there:

I am sure Steve (VK6VZ) will not mind me quoting from an E-mail he sent me:

G'day John

Fascinating stuff.

I only managed to work three Europeans, although signals were quite strong
(S7 - S9 from many) and I called at least 15 stations!  This is fairly
typical, as many stations in the CQ 160 SSB seem to have a good Tx
capability, but only a poor rx.  You were the first European I worked and I
had almost given up when you came back - you have very good ears indeed!

When I called you and you came straight back, it was terrific - your signal
was R5 S7/8 - I have heard you much stronger on CW in the past, so it is
interesting my signals were so strong!

However, after working you and two other Europeans (SO2R, LX9UN) I had the
most amazing SSB QSO I have ever had on 160.  Through LX9UN, who was
struggling to pull me out of the QRM, I heard VY2ZM calling me.  We worked
right on my sunrise and Jeff's signals peaked S5.  I also got an SWL report
from K6ND Will, who heard me make the QSO with Jeff, from his temporary
station in MA.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ

My conclusion: good ears (= phased  offset beverages or similar) is what is
important!

73

John, ON4UN