[CQ-Contest] Electric Fence QRN

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Electric Fence QRN
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Tue May 6 07:53:56 2003
Mike,

Had the same problem with a neighbors electric fence.
There were two things I did that made it quiet down,
before they finally got rid of the unit (thank god!)

First, the transformer had fallen off it's cheap
mounting bracket, and was making a horrible noise
as it contacted the screws holding the power supply
housing to the wall.  I put a beefier mount on the
xfrmr and coated the all exposed metal hardware with
liquid electrical tape.  That helpd a LOT.

Second, I had to coat the wires where it was coming
into contact with vegetation.  Otherwise, it would
spark and make a racket.  The fence surrounded the
neighbor's flower garden, so I couldn't just hack the
vegetation away.  It was a PITA, and they eventually
got rid of the fence. Now there's another one I hear,
but it's much farther away.  Good luck, and let us
know how it turns out. There also an RFI reflector
on contesting.com with lots of posts on the subject.

-Kirk  K4RO