[CQ-Contest] electric fences

Subject: [CQ-Contest] electric fences
From: jfunk@adams.net (jim funk)
Date: Tue May 6 11:08:28 2003
My take on electric fences (I'm not a farmer, but I was, and I've used a lot
of electric fence....):

It sounds as though you are dealing with dreaded "weed burner" type of
fence.  They pulse about 1 second on and 1  1/2 seconds off.  Most noise
blankers are useless around them.   They are not UL listed.  They are
dangerous, and I know of more than one instance in which they have started
fires.
They are cheap, and old, and should be scrapped.   Having said that.....

Is there a possibility that you could visit the neighbor,  small AM radio in
hand, and show him what a mess the fencer is making of reception?  It's
possible *he* is bothered by it as well and doesn't know the source of his
irritation.  Offer to help him "walk the fence" to remove articles that may
be shorting it out.  (This time of year, that is a full-time job!)

Somewhere along the line, mention to him that the new solid-state fencers
are safer, quieter, more effective and don't short out as readily.  They are
a bit more expensive.  If worse comes to worst, offer to help replace the
old one with the new one....

Let me know how it goes.  It's possible I'm wrong on this, in which case
I'll have learned something....
73, Jim N9JF