[CQ-Contest] Re: Self Spotting in WPXCW

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Self Spotting in WPXCW
From: w7ti@ispwest.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Fri May 30 08:06:06 2003
On Thu, 29 May 2003 23:08:38 -0500 (CDT), Zack Widup
<w9sz@prairienet.org> wrote:

>It seems the options are to either....make all use of
>packet in contests illegal

I'd vote for that.

It seems to me we've gotten away from our roots as Amateur Radio
Operators.  Contesting, especially, has become a hobby of computers,
internet, packet spots, local area networks, etc, etc.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I miss the days when you would get on
the air, put out some RF and see who you could work.  It's a different
hobby nowdays and I'm not sure the change is for the better.

There is nothing wrong with fooling around with computers - I do it
myself - but some of the magic of pulling signals out of the ether
disappears when you pull a spot off the computer instead.

--
Bill, W7TI