[CQ-Contest] Re: Is this the way to "teach" budding Contesters?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Is this the way to "teach" budding Contesters?
From: tdanley@sbcglobal.net (tad danley)
Date: Sun Jul 6 11:57:51 2003
Ward Silver wrote:

> I should have just said "2 meters" :-)
>
> It was the kid's FIRST QSO for cryin' out loud - I wasn't going to give him
> a bad time about the frequency...and I sent a note to the guy I learned was
> coaching.

Agreed.  We need more new hams in contesting, not less.

A few years ago I got in some hot water here after letting a friend make
some exchanges in the 10 meter contest from my station in Georgia while
I was seated beside him as the control operator, logging the contacts.

Several people mentioned that this operation was a violation of FCC
rules regarding third party communications.  Part 97 defines third party
communications as "A message from the control operator (first party) of
an amateur station to another amateur station control operator (second
party) on behalf of another person (third party).  That definition
doesn't sound at all like what we did, and by the way my friend got his
ham ticket and does some occasional contesting from Florida.

Tad Danley, K3TD