[CQ-Contest] Identificiation of packet use by "Unassisted" stations

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Identificiation of packet use by "Unassisted" stations
From: g3xtt@lineone.net (Donald Field)
Date: Fri Aug 1 18:24:56 2003
I've been watching this thread with interest, as there seems to be a degree
of wilful misunderstanding going on.

Seems to me the small number of "offenders" identified this year gives a
strong clue as to what is happening.

In law, there has always been a concept about burden of proof. If a
convicted murderer gets the death penalty, it's necessary to be very sure
that he really did it. Therefore the burden of proof is very onerous. The
law is weighted so that more guilty parties are acquitted than innocent
parties hanged (which I guess we all appreciate!).

I suspect something similar is happening here. The adjudicators can never be
100% certain that this isn't coincidence, so they are making darn sure they
are well to one end of the probability distribution. In other words, those
who have been dissed are probably "very guilty" but plenty of other
"offenders" have almost certainly escaped this time. Hopefully, they will
now be aware that the net is closing on them, and will be more careful in
future, as investigation techniques improve!

Anyway, that's my take on what's going on, FWIW.

73 Don G3XTT