Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Log Checking

To: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Log Checking
From: Anthony Luscre K8ZT <aluscre@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:27:39 -0400
Lyndon you might want to check out my article *Choosing Your Ideal Vanity Call Sign *http://www.qsl.net/k8zt/vanity_callsign.htm and accompanying spreadsheet

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Tree wrote:

However - the good thing about the current process is that ALL of the logs
are subjected to the same process. We aren't looking at one log and throwing
out 9 QSOs, without doing the same thing to the competiting logs and making
the same dumb mistake. Also, the same limitaitons that prevent throwing out
more contacts are applied to the other logs as well.

But there is an underlying presumption here that all callsigns have an equal likelyhood of being "busted" when it's well known that this isn't the case. Certain symbol combinations have a higher chance of causing confusion (and thus being mis-copied) than others. Something that would make for interesting research is an analysis of the busted calls to generate a list showing the probability of copying error for each of the two and three symbol group combinations.

I will be moving soon, and will have the chance of getting my initials for
my new call V[AE][0-9]LN, however I've decided not to do that. Having that
'L' after the digit results in too much similarity in the symbols for my
liking (I'm thinking primarily CW here). I have another suffix combination
in mind that creates much more contrast in the last three symbols of the
call, while still being relatively quick to rattle off (in morse, or
phonetically).

--lyndon

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities
in our air and water that are doing it.
                        -- Vice President Dan Quayle

Anthony A. Luscre K8ZT Stow, Ohio |--------------------------|
Visit My Website at
http://www.qsl.net/k8zt

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS! http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/ ---------------------------------------------------------------