Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW secuity--hams as a microcosm

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW secuity--hams as a microcosm
From: "ted demopoulos" <kr1g@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:39:55 +0000
It happens a lot.
My first case of fraud was right after I bought some books from the ARRL Web Site (my first online transaction - I'm sure thats just a coincidence). A fee for US$555 from some company in NJ showed up on my Amex Bill, but I had been in New Zealand for a few months and knew it couldn't be me OR the XYL.

There's been a least one other unauthorized charge on my card too.

Then right before this Christmas, both Amex and Visa cancelled my cards and reissued them. At least in the case of Amex, they called me and asked if I'd been out of the country recently. Seems someone overseas somewhere had a physical card with my number on it and was trying to make big ticket purchases. Visa gave me much less info.

This number is no doubt obselete, although still ballpark: about 2% of a credit card issuers cost is in fraud. In other words, they lose maybe 2% of revenue due to fraud - the cost of doing business

73
Ted KT1V