Re: [CQ-Contest] TS850 and 8P1A status

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TS850 and 8P1A status
From: Dave Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:51:40 +0000

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:36:28 -0500 "Georgens, Tom" <tgeorgen@lsil.com>
writes:
> During the ARRL phone, several ops told me I had a carrier on my
> signal.  I
> did not record which of the two radios was offending at the time.
> Now that
> I am back in Barbados, I decided to check.  It turns out that both
> TS850s
> are doing it.  Does anybody out there have any ideas as to what
> might be
> wrong?  Is there a setting I am missing?

Here is my little procedure for doing the
carrier balance on a TS-850. You can use one
850 to adjust the other.

TS-850 Carrier Balance Adjustment

1. Open the bottom hatch of the TS-850.
2. On the IF unit, locate VR8 and VR9 (near the little Murata filter).
3. On the TS850: PROCESSOR OFF, MIKE GAIN MIN, FREQ 14.2, MODE USB,
   POWER MIN.
4. Construct an rf voltmeter by sticking a silicon diode, such as
   1N914 into the antenna socket. Connect a sensitive DC voltmeter
   between the diode and ground.
5. Push the SEND switch on the TS850 and adjust VR8 and VR9 for
   minimum indication on the voltmeter.
6. Make sure that BOTH of these controls are going through minimums.
   It is possible to get so far off on VR8, that VR9 has no effect.
7. Check that LSB is ok also.
8. For the final adjustment, take a piece of insulated wire,
   bare one end, and stick that end into the antenna socket of the
   850. Bring the insulated wire NEAR the receive antenna connection of
   a second receiver tuned to the carrier frequency, and make fine
   adjustments to the null, with the POWER control set at MAX. Of
   course, do not connect the second receiver directly, in case your hand
   slips while you are making the adjustment! I just wrap the insulated
   wire around the center pin of a PL-259 connected to the second
   receiver.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ