Re: [CQ-Contest] On Line Logs

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] On Line Logs
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:30:09 -0600

then K8ND said:

>In all the spectrum of ways to cheat, this one is
>**so** far down the list

I am bothered by it.  Some of the activities which Jeff refers to take
considerable effort and some have significant cost.  Looking yourself up in
somebody else's log is easy now and costs nothing.

Also, many of the activities which Jeff alludes to are specifically against
the rules, thus "cheating."  I will admit I haven't read most of the rules
for a few years, but last I checked there was nothing prohibiting you from
double-checking a QSO with the other guy.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Frowned upon?  Yes.  Illegal?  No.

Posting logs on the internet prior to log submission is what attorneys call
an "attractive nuisance."  Really this conversation is similar to the one
about tape-recording the contest and double-checking it afterwards against
the tape and fixing your mistakes.  People are sharply opinionated but it is
not illegal.

So, this is a good question, I *am* bothered by it, and an easy way to deal
with it (without debating whether it is legal or not) would be if people
would wait to post their logs until after the contest log submission
deadline.

:)

Mark, N5OT