Re: [CQ-Contest] "Please copy my number"

To: n4gi@tampabay.rr.com, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "Please copy my number"
From: Ed Parish K1EP <k1ep@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:00:30 -0500
At 11/17/03 03:41 PM, n4gi@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
>I've got a tortoise-like phoneSS rate-sucker to add:
>
>4) Using phonetics for the "middle" callsign in the exchange.  This practice
>can double the exchange time when working someone with a bigger callsign.
>Obviously, if you've gotten this far, both parties probably should know who
>they're in the process of working, right?

I would agree to some extent, but there were times when I got the call wrong
the first time and the exchange clarified it.  Having the phonetics helped.
Also, I used that part of the exchange as a fill if I only got a partial the
first time around.  That saved time, because the person didn't have to spend
time with the fill, they just gave it with the exchange.  And sometimes you
just got so tired you forgot your own call and used the phonetics.  Phone SS
is very tiring.  I often find that people are more polite and thanking each
other for the Q too, more like a FD exchange.  Things like "Thanks for West
Central Florida" , "Oh, you are my first Illinois station" or "Good luck in the
contest".