Re: [CQ-Contest] contest station primer

To: "Charles Margelli" <cmandjm@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contest station primer
From: "Grillo's" <ah3c@frii.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 03:07:15 -0700
It's a benefit to all of us when an experienced contester has the
opportunity to be in on the design effort for a radio.

The FT-1000D has a most elegant location for tuning knobs and RIT
control.....I remember working hundreds of stations all around my frequency
for hours at a time at AH3C in '89-'90 and never feeling tired, with the
radio sitting in its normal position....Chip, didn't you have a hand in
making that happen?  In the 70's, during good propagation, I remember
drooling from W6RTT while you were running JA's for hours at W7RM.  That and
your DX exploits must have given you the clue!

I shy away from working split frequency when in command of pileups because
it ties up a frequency pair and the pileup is usually a lot wider than when
working around your own frequency.  The downside, of course, is when they
call on top of you and others can't hear you.

There was one occasion when the pileup on 15 M was so thick the rate dropped
to a crawl because of the bedlam.  So, I slipped up the band about 40 KHz
using the 2nd VFO and started another pileup.  When it got too heady 10
minutes later I switched back to the original VFO frequency and there were
still people calling from before, but it was then easy to pick them off.  As
the pile grew again, the 2nd VFO pileup had dwindled down to where I could
run the rate back up to normal.  This went on for about 3 hours, switching
every 2-3 minutes at a time....great memorable run.