[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 11, Issue 73

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 11, Issue 73
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@fyi.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:09:53 -0500
Herb,

I don't think anyone is seriously or otherwise suggesting that your or any
of the other pre-1978 KV4 calls (or those recovered as Vanity calls in
recent years) sign KP2/, NP2/, or WP2/.  Likewise, I don't think anyone is
suggesting that other remaining pre-1978 calls do so.

Most contest software is or should be (I know, there's that dangerous
presumption again) configured to properly handle calls like yours.  And most
experienced contesters & DX'ers... yes, I know many aren't that
experienced... are aware of the old prefixes and that quite a few are still
in use (I think KG6DX is no longer active from Guam, that and the old
Johnston Island KJ6 club station are the only two that come to mind
offhand).  In fact, without doing a data search on the CD, I'd venture to
say that the vast majority of pre-78 calls in this category that are still
in use are USVI KV4 calls.  So it is REASONABLE to assume that a KV4 2x2
call has a high likelihood of being a USVI call.  Therefore there should be
NO reason that you should or would even consider signing /KP2 etc., so long
as you are indeed operating in the USVI.

In the particular case under discussion, since we KNOW that Andy is not in
Puerto Rico, but in NYC.  While FCC rules do not require him to indicate
this, and apparantly contest rules don't either, it would still be (IMHO)
good amateur practice for him to do so.  He has indicated that he doesn't
want to.  Completely different situation.

But what the heck.  If someone (I'm speaking generically now) chooses to
operate without a clear indication of his entity, and as a result makes a
lot of contacts that are either logged wrong or end up with 0 point value,
which ends up wasting a lot of time and/or irritating a lot of people, who
am I to argue?  Or to put it another way, you can be right from a technical
standpoint but wrong (or at least offbase) from a practical one.  Not worth
wasting any more time worrying about it.

And FWIW, I happen to LIKE the old calls when they reappear.  Adds a little
flavor to things, and keeps you on your toes.  But of course, I'm biased a
little on that subject... <g>

73, ron wn3vaw

"What's the point in being crazy if you can't have a little fun with it?"
-- Russell Crowe portraying John Nash, "A Beautiful Mind"