Re: [CQ-Contest] Legal issues working Irag?

To: "VE5ZX" <ve5zx@hotmail.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Legal issues working Irag?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:36:32 -0500
At 04:32 PM 12/2/03 -0600, VE5ZX quoted an unofficial US MARS source:

"Several American amateurs have been reported operating on the ham bands
from Iraq , but this activity is problematic since all regular reciprocal
licensing in Iraq expired with the removal of the Saddam Hussein
government."

"Problematic" huh? And someone thinks that the former Iraqi Government issued reciprocal licenses?

The ARRL issued a ruling some time ago that /YI operations were acceptable if the US military personnel in question had written authorization; it's hard for me to believe that the same judgment wouldn't apply to authorization by the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA). There are Americans in Iraq today whose jobs involve doing frequency management and licensing for the CPA, including amateur licensing. Some time in the not-too-distant future, I imagine there will be a handoff of amateur licensing authority to the Iraqis again, but for the moment....

73, Pete N4ZR The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29. 2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated. Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm