[CQ-Contest] Packet Pileups

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet Pileups
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:47:47 -0600
I'm not pro-packet for single ops.  Nevertheless, I just realized a twist
nobody else has brought up (I don't think).

First, let me say bazillions of posts are great for filling up your band
map.  If you're at a multi, that's not only good for you but makes the
contest much funner too.  Domestics, DX, non-mults, non-rare, friends, BRING
IT ON!

The other thing bazillions of posts has GOT to do is reduce the size of each
mini packet-pileup they generate.  The more stuff coming up all at once,
then the more operators' attentions are potentially diverted away from a
single post, thereby reducing the size and lengthening the response time to
that post, i.e. a smaller but longer-lasting surge in activity.

Uh, this would be "good", right?

Also, if it is such a big deal, wouldn't a straightforward counter-strategy
be to delay your jumping on the bandwagon until there's a vacant seat?  Any
rocket scientists on frequency who can confirm this?

Mark, N5OT