RE: [CQ-Contest] RE: My Friend Spotted me

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] RE: My Friend Spotted me
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 22:23:56 -0000

> At 09:56 PM 12/4/03 -0800, Leigh S. Jones wrote:
> >We can see a pattern of "my friend
> >spotted me" type abuses, even clear instances of "friends"
> >who are seen to be hiding their true identities while spotting,
> >but can't clearly distinguish between "friends" spotting and
> >organized and extensive "friends" spotting or self-spotting.
>

> This may be, but doesn't hiding your identity suggest that the person
> doing
> it believes he's doing something wrong?  These, above all, deserve to
be
> exposed.  Unfortunately, it may take a total restructuring of the
Internet
> to provide the information to do that, for all the reasons Leigh
suggests.

that is a key point that maybe I should spell out in future analysis
messages.  While there are valid reasons for strange ip address traces,
the pattern of deception is what really what makes the ones I flag stand
out.  If you weren't trying to deceive someone why would you use
multiple callsigns to generate spots?

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net