Re: [CQ-Contest] RCA(PHONO) JACK TO PL-259 ADAPTOR?

To: "Hank Lonberg" <kr7x@comcast.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RCA(PHONO) JACK TO PL-259 ADAPTOR?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:37:52 -0800
Radio Shack use to sell them, Hank. Not sure if they still do, however.

You can also get them mail order from The RF Connection:

http://www.therfc.com/adapt.htm

price is $1.50 each (this guy has really good prices)

Digi-Key has them too:

P/N ARF1101-ND (Amphenol P/N 83-10 - $8.95 each)

For our Alpha 78's at the local club, I mounted an all metal RCA male plug
on
a piece of RG-142 (PL-259 on the other end). I memory serves correct you
have to drill out the hole in the connector backshell hood to allow for the
larger
diameter of RG-142. I wrapped the exposed portion of the center conductor
that resides inside the backshell hood with Scotch 35 electrical tape to
keep
it from shorting to the shield terminal. I then slid some shrink wrap down
the
outer jacket of the RG-142, thru the hole in the backshell hood and over
the backshell terminal connections. I left the shrink wrap long enough that
it protrudes thru the hole in the backshell hood so as too provide a little
strain relief. So far, so good.