[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 13, Issue 16

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 13, Issue 16
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@fyi.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:18:37 -0500
Hans,

While you are absolutely right, you also missed the point.  Key words:
"known to be used as a repeater input."

No one knew that the Western PA Repeater Council has changed the 2 meter
band plan in WPA.   Over half of the traditional FM Simplex channels are
now, in the eyes of the WPRC, repeater inputs.
Yes, in many areas of the country, they are listed as "alternate repeater
inputs" but no where else do I know of where the local repeater council has
both (a) changed them to being only inputs and (b) hasn't told anyone
outside of the WPRC circle about it.

Did you know that a repeater council had the power to change the band plan
in an area?  I didn't.  No one else I've talked to about this has.

Is it a violation of 97.101 when the band plan has been changed, and the
only "public" notice is a change on a web page (that no one thought to check
because no one ever suspected the organization had the power or authority to
do so... and do they?)  This is akin to the local speed traps (on PA 65 just
north & south of I-79, to name two) where the local municipalities drop the
speed limit by about 30 MPH with no warning just inside the borough line...
and have a (paved) spot to hide the police car right next to the sign.

I am continuing to investigate the matter... especially in view of what
power a repeater council has to change a band plan (the ARRL, at least,
makes it clear that the band plans are voluntary... others do not appear to
be as lenient).  But as that is straying from the POV of contesting, I
probably won't say anything else about it here.

73, ron wn3vaw

"I'd give real money if he'd just shut up!"
Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Start Trek VI:  The Hills Are Alive with the Sounds of
Klingons"