Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HQ stations - final results question

To: SP5UAF <tomek@sp5zcc.waw.pl>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HQ stations - final results question
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:05:48 -0600
     Along the same lines, the initial results for the 2002 IARU HF World
Championship scored W1AW/5 wrong.  The QSO points for W1AW/5 were computed
as if the station were in ITU zone 8 (which is where W1AW actually is) but
the W1AW/5 operation took place entirely in ITU zone 7 (central Texas,
to be specific) which made a BIG difference in the final score, as W1AW/5
worked a lot more zone 8 stations than it worked zone 7 stations.

     Now, if an HQ station happens to operate from multiple ITU zones
or even continents (which has happened,) the score computation is even
more complicated, and more likely to be erroneously reported - especially
if the HQ station doesn't make a real effort to communicate the unusual
situation to the log checkers.  Hopefully, in a few more years of computer
log checking with this contest, most of these special cases with the
HQ stations will have been accounted for in the process.  Or, maybe we
should just get rid of HQ stations and all the silliness therein, and
make the contest results easier to generate :-)

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:34:03PM +0100, SP5UAF wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to ARRL we already know the top scores of Single-Op and
> Multi-Op stations as well as complete results of HQ stations in the
> IARU HF 2003.
> Well, we all know that usually final scores are reduced comparing to
> claimed scores. No wonder, we all make mistakes receiving or typing
> callsigns, serial numbers etc.
>
> But claimed and final scores can be surprising. Claimed scores were as
> follows for IARU HF 2003 (top ten):
> Call                 QSOs     Mult    hr  Score
>                  CW     SSB
> R7HQ                 16701     423        22,317,903
> DA0HQ                19085     473    24  17,869,467
> GB5HQ             6400  6487   448    24  17,074,624
> TM0HQ             5873  6153   434    24  16,816,198
> OL3HQ             5123  5677   428    24  15,807,324
> SN0HQ             7809  7874   456    24  15,752,520
> IU2HQ             5375  5633   443    24  13,300,189
> YT0HQ             5648  5429   445    24  13,070,095
> S50HQ             5054  4901   448    24  12,433,792
> PA6HQ             4834  4540   406    24  11,646,110
> SK9HQ             2234  1767   327    24   4,140,147
>
> And we have the following final scores (top 13) from the ARRL page
> (http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/2003/IARU.pdf)
> R7HQ            20,817,380
> IUxHQ           17,824,836
> DA0HQ           16,507,800
> GB5HQ           15,705,914
> TM0HQ           15,394,425
> SN0HQ           14,483,480
> EM5HQ           13,425,363
> 9A0HQ           13,085,082
> YT0HQ           11,662,121
> S50HQ           11,311,048
> OL3HQ           11,254,590
> OH2HQ           10,880,332
> PA6HQ           10,689,448
>
> It's a pity we do not know multiplier and points data details of the
> final results. But we can see two big differences in claimed/final
> scores.
>
> The first one is OL3HQ. Their claimed score was much bigger then the
> final one. I think that they made a mistake in the claimed score.
> Perhaps by mistake the "15" WAZ zone number was input in the log
> instead of "28" (ITU zone). It could make such a difference in the
> result.
>
> The second situation is with IUxHQ. Final score is about 4,5 milion
> points better to claimed score. Perhaps Italian HQ operators lost
> about 2.000 contacts in their claimed score. I think such a difference
> in the QSO number can produce about 4,5 mln points in the final score.
> Maybe we will be able to see the complete data (QSOs, QSO points,
> multiplier) soon after the complete results are published. But perhaps
> in the meantime someone from the Italian HQ team can give us some
> light in the subject.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> 73
> Tom
> SP5UAF

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops