[CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness

To: "'cq-contest@contesting.com'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness
From: David Burger <DavidB@facilities.usyd.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:33:33 +1100
I've always been curious about the effects of beam forming effects of the
ionosphere which could focus energy off-world.  Not experiencing the echo
effects mentioned, I have witnessed "sun noise" reaching S8/S9 across all 3
bands;20m/15m/10m simultaneously - to the level that put me off air for 15
minutes for so (it has happened twice now operating in Darwin as VK8AA) just
after visible dawn.     I'd originally thought it was neaby HF jammers in
VK8, but I've heard similar, less stronger effects here in Sydney (VK2) as
well.

I've had a couple of shots of CW on 10m EME pointing at the horizon (into a
terrestially closed quiet direction) without hearing my echo's. Mind you I
haven't done the maths to see if it was possible anyway, but maybe Mr
Ionosphere has some aces up the sleeve.

Some phone QSO's have shown the 200ms 'round-the-world' echo's with 2 or 3
echos heard underneath, but I'm sure most people on 15m would have
experienced this effect.

David Burger  (davidb@facilities.usyd.edu.au)
VK2CZ