[CQ-Contest] Contesting bandwidth

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting bandwidth
From: "Jim Monahan" <K1PX@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:07:26 -0500
I'm essentially convinced that there is no real solution to this issue of
contesting and
non-contesters.

Years ago, I had a racing car and I believe that this situation is somewhat
akin to holding
racing events on public roads along with regular traffic. Fortunately, face
cars have their
own tracks or, in some cases, run on public roads with all other traffic closed
down.

The problem reflects our society, unfortunately in this respect, where you have
drivers
who drive like they own the road rather then their cars complete with
unpleasant gestures
if you at all challenge their actions.

It seems that many of us (general population) live in our own little world and
don't want it
affected by other activities. Intolerance seems to abound!

As an example that I'm sure we all have experienced, I made the mistake of
getting on 75
meters recently, which I seldom do, to have a QSO with an old friend.

I moved from the first frequency because the group, and I knew one of the
operators, meets
there and I was unaware of it.

On the new frequency, 3821,  after about 20 or 30 minutes, we were suddenly
besieged with
carriers and comments. I asked if someone wanted to join us and was told that
this was "their" frequency. They were waiting for us to sign so they could get
on with their group.

So much for having a chat with my friend!

I suppose I understand that some people get on the same frequency every day at
the same
time and talk about the same thing.

The problem, of course, with allocating part of the bands is that it can't be
enforced. The FCC
would never do that or even consider it.

The best we can do, in the heat of competition, is try to act as ladies and
gentlemen and hopefully
some of this may rub off on other operators. Maybe not.

73, Jim, K1PX

K1PX@msn.com<mailto:K1PX@msn.com>