Re: [CQ-Contest] Sharing Radio Spectrum and Roads

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sharing Radio Spectrum and Roads
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:03:10 -0600

Mike Gilmer wrote:

> I also see the similarity between theses two resources, bands and roads,
> however, I see it somewhat differently: no race cars necessary.
>
> I liken the bands to the highways, normally filled, to various degrees, with
> "casual" drivers, going to the mall or visiting their friends, etc.  But a
> couple of times a day, the roads fill up - rush hour - when room and
> civility are at a premium.  Now, a sensible person learns when rush hour
> occurs, and unless necessary, avoids the roads at those times.  Casual
> drivers may complain about the traffic, but they never claim that the rush
> hour drivers should not use certain roads or be banned from certain lanes on
> others.

During the week, Chicago rush "hour" starts at 7 AM or earlier, goes
till about noon, then you get a couple hour break, then rush "hour"
starts again at about 2 PM or so and goes till maybe 7 or 8 PM.  Driving
in Chicago during rush "hour" is one of my most hated activities!  Yet I
have to do it from time to time.  I have learned to live with it.  :-)

> A sensible ham, IMO, learns when contests are going to occur (at least the
> BIG ones) and avoids the appropriate bands.  Folks who insist on doing
> otherwise are as unreasonable as the contesters so often admonished in these
> "opinions".
>
> Trying to complete the analogy, and be reasonable, I realize that emergency
> traffic has to have access to these two resources.  Even during rush hour, a
> fire truck can get through, even if a bit more slowly.  If and when
> contesting and emergency traffic collide, we can look really, really bad,
> but I don't think that means all the HF bands need dedicated 50kHz-100kHz
> pieces banned from contest use.
>
> Mike N2MG

Emergency traffic would be the only exception I see.  But how much
bandwidth does that need, realistically?

I try to take the viewpoint of the non-contester but I always find flaws
in their reasoning.  In almost every contest, there are "contest-free
zones".  They are called the WARC bands and the other modes.  Most
contests only take place on one mode per weekend.  I consider myself a
well-rounded amateur and I'll switch to the other mode(s) if I don't
care to participate in a contest. I can operate on CW, SSB, PSK31,
MFSK16, RTTY, AMTOR, PACTOR, Hellschreiber, etc. and I can get on any
band from 80 through VHF. I also don't consider myself the only ham
living in the world and when I have a sked and someone else got to the
frequency first, I either ask if I can call my sked station and then
QSY, or I forego it for that week.  Better yet, we plan a couple
alternate frequencies in advance for skeds.

And how many major contests are there in a year? A dozen?

I try to be flexible.  I wish others did, too.  I know I'm "preaching to
the choir" here, as we're all contesters.  Maybe I should send these
views to ARRL, etc.

73, Zack W9SZ