[CQ-Contest] Re: 160m Torture

To: "cq contest" <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: 160m Torture
From: "Dick Frey" <k4xu@bendcable.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:51:39 -0800
Those eastern "alligators" who were S-8 here on the west coast and deaf to
all the stations calling ...were probably using receive antennas with good
F/B pointed elsewhere. When I operated from K8CFU's well-appointed LF
station in 1983(?) his beverage array would put any station off the back
well below the noise. The rate trick was to call CQ, listen for Eu DX calls,
and if not, switch to the TX antenna in time to catch one of the domestic
callers.

I decided Friday night that calling any of the strong east coast stations
before 08Z was a waste of time. My hat is off to Mr Bill, W4AN, at W8JI, an
exception to the rule.

Dick Frey    k4xu