Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of contesting
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:12:37 +0000
W9WI replied to SM2EKM:

> Is it legal in the US not to identify for every QSO?

As a matter of fact, no; from
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/octqtr/47cfr97.119.htm :
"Sec. 97.119  Station identification.

    (a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand
station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting
channel at the end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes
during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of
the transmissions from the station known to those receiving
the transmissions. ..."

Unless one considers an entire weekend to be one big communication, this suggests US stations must ID with their call at least once at the end of every Q.

If my recollection is correct & the intent hasn't changed, if a Q lasts longer
than 10 minutes, then a US station must ID once every ten minutes during
that Q.  This tends to support the ID-at-end-of-every-Q conclusion if
"communication" = "QSO".

That said, I think most of the offenders being cited in this thread are
DX stations not under jurisdiction of the US government.

The basic issue of station identification is no doubt in the ITU-RR & unless we're talking about a pariah state, administrations' laws/regulations generally are based on stuff like that.

Personally, I like to ID on every Q & rarely find doing so to be detrimental. That
said, I'm not an N6TJ or CT1BOH & probably will never be. Perhaps at their level,
not IDing can be used strategically, but for the vast majority of everybody else,
it's a detriment for all concerned.

As well as being contrary to license conditions for probably far more of us than
we realize.

73, VR2BrettGraham