Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Contest Participation Statistics

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Contest Participation Statistics
From: Bob Naumann - N5NJ <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:13:12 -0600
Interesting.

It would be more valuable if it was broken out by mode also- i.e. SS_CW vs.
SS_SSB.  I'd also like to see some demographics on who these operators are that
are boosting the #'s.

I suspect that both VHF and RTTY are now being frequented more by former HF
types.  I am one of those, and enjoy the lack of QRM from SSTVers, Net
operations and anti-contesters.  I'm just not into the hassle of fone contests
any more.  I would suspect that I'm not alone.

The article cites the ease of getting on RTTY with computers, but misses the
ease of getting on VHF will all of these new rigs that include 1 or more VHF
bands along with HF capabilities.

RTTY is fun - and really great in multi-op as the operators can talk to each
other while operating.  (We can't all operate CW and talk at the same time like
W2RQ!)

73,
Bob N5NJ