[CQ-Contest] Re: ARRL Contest Participation Statistics

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: ARRL Contest Participation Statistics
From: "Bud Hippisley, K2KIR" <k2kir@telenet.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:21:28 -0500
At 08:43 AM 2004-02-19, Bill Tippett wrote:
>http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/02/18/2/?nc=1
>
>        Interesting statistics at the bottom of the article.  With the
>exception of the IARU, categories showing significant  growth
>are either digital modes or VHF.

I found two quotes from the article to be of interest:

"Sweepstakes logs for both modes were off in 2003 by 6.4 percent."
"Henderson blamed sagging propagation for at least some of the drop-off in log
submissions for HF events."

I can attest to the fact that the loss of at least one SS log submittal was NOT
the result of sagging propagation but instead the knowledge that line scores
for all the participants in my ARRL section would not appear in QST.  I was
active in the contest, but saw no reason to submit a log.  (If a tree falls in
the forest....)

Of course, some cynics would say this is playing into the hands of those who
want the League to de-emphasize contests:  Reduced QST coverage leads to
reduced interest, which leads to further de-emphasis of contest coverage, which
leads to termination or curtailment of contests, etc.

Bud, K2KIR