RE: [CQ-Contest] The good old U.S. holiday weekend contest debate

To: "'Scott R.'" <w4pa@yahoo.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] The good old U.S. holiday weekend contest debate
From: "Bill" <w5vx@hiline.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:28:24 -0600
I really like contests to fall on holiday weekends, in particular
Thanksgiving! At least I used to before I retired. Many have to work on
Friday nights and/or weekends and cannot get loose for contests.  I needed
the holiday to get the time off to work the contest.

Each of us has different limitations for operating contests. Some of us have
the time and money to operate any time and place we want; some are hired
guns and go to other's stations, and some single op from home. What might be
a great scheduling idea for some might mean no contest for others. Moving
CQWW CW from Thanksgiving would have meant no 48 hour operation for me,
because I worked on Friday nights. This, in fact, has happened from time to
time.

During the 10 years we operated 6D2X, Thanksgiving was the only contest
weekend that I could be on hand for the beginning of the contest. The other
weekends, I had to arrive on Saturday morning. My wife has never complained
because Thanksgiving is on Thursday and there were no contests over the
Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, or Spring Break holidays.

Just another perspective,
Bill, W5VX