Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 00:58:41 EST
In a message dated 4/1/04 10:58:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Cqtestk4xs@aol.com writes:
>>I and other big stations did not just "throw money at towers and amps".  We
busted our asses in research, scavenging materials, and homebrewed lots of
stuff.  That, takes lots of skill.  We then invested more in researching past
scores to know where to put our efforts in a given contest.  That takes
skill.<<

Mainly antennas, if you got no signal from antenna, no money or amps will
help you. As Bill says, takes a lot of skill, in addition - operating, knowing
propagation, maximizing station, souping up lousy equipment but mainly
antennas,
antennas, antennas and knowing how to select, build and use them. True
contester builds and operates his own station.

Then there are "drive-in operators" who drive, fly, walk, swim into someone
else's station
and do it easy way. They should be penalized by 30% less points :-)

Yuri, K3BU.us