Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet (was: self spotting)

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet (was: self spotting)
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 07:11:06 -0500
At 08:23 PM 4/1/04, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
But, let's take a look at the "broadcast CQ". What is really wrong with it?
If the band is marginal, these stations act as beacons and can stir up
interest in that band. Granted to push F1 is not a high skill operation, but to
pull those ESP sigs out of the mud is.

I have done the 6 CQs per minute on rather dead bands and have tried to pull
the guys out of the mud who were ESP level...that requires as much skill as
any S/P.  Having had hours of 100 while S/Ping I speak from experience

Bill makes a good point. Recently, I opped at a big multi for the first time, during the ARRL DX CW test. On Sunday, it appeared that 10 meters was open, at least to southern Europe, but very few stations were there. I made a point of spotting everything I worked S&P, in the hope that the world-wide propagation of Internet spots would cause people to realize that the band was open. To the extent that spots provide a profile of what's happening on a given band, they can actually be a sort of "second order beacon."

That said, I personally prefer to operate unassisted as a single op, and use my second radio to check for band openings.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
will be back soon -- watch this space