[CQ-Contest] XML Contest File Standard Discussion

To: CQcontest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] XML Contest File Standard Discussion
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:24:15 -0700 (PDT)
Thank for all of you who have replied to my first email about converting
contest files to XML.  I truely am a novice at databasing and hate to use
Access.  I have heard so much about SQL and its power, I am trying to
understand it.  I was looking for an easy way to import files into a SQL
database and MySQL will import XML files along with others as well.  I was able
to write a QuickBasic program (that is all I have) and turned the logs into a
comma delimited file.  I got that loaded into SQL.

I also took my LOTW file and parsed it to a CSV file using good old QuickBasic.
 (I am too cheap to buy programming software)  The LOTW files are quasi XML.  I
also have that loaded into MySQL as well.

It just seems to me that the world is going XML and maybe ham radio should be
too.  Of course we would all have to agree on the definitions.  It seems to me
that XML files make sense to the world wide community of hams since it is
becoming a datafile standard.

Comments?

Lee - K0WA (Novice Database Guy)