Re: [CQ-Contest] XML File conversion for Contest Software

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] XML File conversion for Contest Software
From: Ward Willats <cqcontest@kg6haf.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:13:47 -0700
xml would be my preference for all log data.  it has the advantages of
being a world wide supported data transfer method.  it has built in
parsing, searching, import/export and all sorts of other tools for modern
development languages and databases.  it has data integrity and definition
capabilities way beyond adif or cabrillo.  it has flexibility way, way,
beyond either adif or cabrillo or any other popular log format.  it can be
used on virtually any modern operating system and some browsers actually
will display it directly, though not always in the most friendly way.  the
advantages today way overshadow the one disadvantage that i can see of the
files being a bit larger than other formats that are hard coded into
software or defined by punch card style columnar formats.

Amen. Amen. Amen.

For example, I wrote my own logging software in PHP for use on my web site. Because ADIF is the lingua-franca in the ham community, if I want to export my log to LOTW (say) I have to write my own MySQL to ADIF routines (which I have almost completed and will make available shortly).

An XML format would have let me pick from half a dozen parser/writers to do this and I would have finished this task in half an afternoon.

Plus, when you actually try to code to the ADIF "spec" you realize it is a half-specified hack that everyone interprets different subsets of. You wind up wishing for the XML-style "grammar" provided by a DTD, Schema or Relax spec so completeness and correctness can be verified _automatically_.

There is no telling what new applications would emerge from being able to easily incorporate XML QSO data into other applications. Propagation, contest analysis, band utilization patterns, impacts of BPL, the list goes on... As it is, ADIF and Cabrillo are ridiculous provincial walled-gardens.

-- Ward / KG6HAF