[CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:29:06 -0400

Since the LotW now has support for the DXCC award, I've been spending some time converting older logs to cabrillo format and then uploading them to the Logbook of the World.

I must say, though, that the QSL rate for logs that are only 5 or 6 years old is really unimpressive. And most of the QSLs the LotW finds are for stateside contacts, not DX.

Considering the ease at which one can use the LotW, after the initial hassle of getting a valid certificate, I'm surprised more stations haven't uploaded all of their logs. Particularly DX stations. What better way to avoid the hassle of having to reply to QSL cards than to put your logs on LotW?

I'm sure a lot of casual operators don't have computerised log records, but most contestors don't have this excuse.

This is really a great technology, it looks as if it will need more participation to be completely successful.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901