Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Personal Identification

To: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Personal Identification
From: Nick Fedoseev <nf@tav.kiev.ua>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 17:57:46 +0300
Hello Dale,

I was in correspondence with David Patton, NN1N about a month ago. And
finally I listed the same problems with the Personal Idetinfication
(I worked as a security expert for one US firm, so I think that I have some
experience).

It was noted that the ARRL has no possibility to verify papers from
another countries, so it is no difference between the scanned photocopy
sent via email or the same photocopy sent via post mail. Many people
here in Eastern Europe do not want to send any document (or photocopy)
via post mail. That was (and perhaps somewhere is) prohibited by the law.

The following ways were proposed in order to increase the LOTW
popularity here:

1) Allow scanned photocopies sent via email. (or FAX?)

2) Allow scanned photocopies sent from trusted source (say, UARL
official person for Ukrainian operators), this will solve the problem
of fake post mails. Such a trusted source must have a digital sign
to prevent cheating.

3) Allow scanned photocopies with addition requirement of the log
with enough good confirmation percent. (why this shouldn't work?)

4) Establishing a LoTW - compatible system which will work for Eastern
Europe, so we will serve our people ourselves.

It is a pity, but David decided not to answer :-(