Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JAs in Contesting?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JAs in Contesting?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:05:50 -0400
        Interesting question but I'm not sure it is as bad as we
might first think.  I set CQ WW SSB USA 10m records in '88
from Colorado, and again in '01 from NC.  JA totals were 635 in
1988 and 373 in 2001.  2001 was not a good year for JA from
here since we had a big flare Saturday night which destroyed
Sunday for many JA's.  I know I've made over 400 from here on
both modes in other SOSB10 contests.  The other issue in
making comparisons is that Colorado has about 4 more hours
of JA opening than NC due to differences in sunset times.

        Nevertheless, it is very clear that Europe continues to
grow activity while Japan slowly declines.

73, Bill W4ZV