RE: [CQ-Contest] Interesting new rule in EUHFC

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Interesting new rule in EUHFC
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:27:22 -0400
As an outsider looking in (I've not been a EUHFC
participant), all the discussion of the new "log
exact frequency per QSO" rule seems to dance around
the real points.

  1) It's a Very Stupid Rule Change.

  2) It's unfair to a subset of those participating.

  3) It would have no effect on controlling
       perceived cheating.

As hard as it seems to be for the EUHFC rule
promulgators to believe, there are a *lot* of
contesters still who use one or more radios without
computer interfaces (unmodified TS930, TS940, TS830,
C-Line, etc.), especially as second radios. Manually
recording exact frequency for each QSO would be slow
and inefficient. Requiring it is not presenting a
level playing field for all participants.

Contest sponsors should be working on ways to include
*more* Amateurs in their contests, rather than driving
them away with ill-conceived rules that *pretend* to make
it possible to eliminate cheating!

I'd hate to see any thought of including this useless
and counterproductive rule in any *other* contests.

73,

  Jeff Maass  K8ND