Re: [CQ-Contest] Great BPL Article

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Great BPL Article
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:45:12 -0400
No, let's not stoop to that level.

Remember the Klingon proverb:  Revenge is a dish best served cold.  So let's
keep our tempers in check, no matter how much we are provoked, and look at
this logically.

By changing tactics -- that is, by trying to attack our credibility and
technical expertise, rather than answer the charges that QRM from Access BPL
& other similar systems currently under testing or development, is not only
unacceptable to communications users but technically unavoidable -- the BPL
industry is in effect conceeding that our concerns and complaints are valid
and have merit.

Since they can't argue the facts with us, or prove us wrong, they have now
chosen to try and mitigate our concerns by belittling us.  In other words,
if they can negate our voices by convincing those in authority that we are
out of step with the times and don't know what we're talking about.  By
logical extension, if it works, this means that those in authority will
ignore us or brush us aside with further regard for our concerns.

If we can be ignored as the minority old far... fogies, they can do as they
please.

And remember, ultimately, they only have to convince 3 people of this.  3 of
the 5 FCC commisioners.  At least 2 of whom have made public statements to
wit that they are already on the BPL bandwagon.

The real insult is the broad brush stereotyping all amateurs as being out of
step.  How many thousands of US amateurs (let alone the rest of the world)
are broadcast engineers, engineers of any sort, scientists, developers,
doctors... and on and on... all of whom have the technical background to
understand and logically discuss the issues, and prove them wrong?  But no,
we're all stuck in the vacumn tube era?

Feh.

We must really have someone worried for them to come out with this tactic in
public already.

Bottom line:  We're winning on the technical grounds... but they've shifted
the battle to the PR grounds, and they have money and a good bit of the
media on their side.

73, ron wn3vaw