[CQ-Contest] BPL vs other broadband solutions

To: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] BPL vs other broadband solutions
From: "Grillo's" <ah3c@frii.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 06:44:34 -0600
How can you say we are winning on the technical ground?

All I've heard is complaining about interference.  Certainly, I am on the
bandwagon to squash BPL from the interference standpoint.  But, it sure is
Pollyanna sweet in its simplicity for last mile broadband connectivity.  Our
complaint is that the well designed receivers we currently use would surely
pick up the hash as we seek to work the weak DX stations on HF.   Let's
review FCC's technical data on the BPL tests and also hear from hams who are
a part of this testing (hopefully FCC was clever enough to include our
brethren).  Are BPL interference filtering techniques being worked on?

DSL and Cable providers are adequately blanketing urban and most suburban
areas because the population density allows greater use of bandwidth with
minimal backhaul investment, but to maximize profitability they limit
available bandwidth to the user.  Download and gaming speeds suffer.  The
other option for "last mile" broadband service is wireless, and it is
hurting.  Wireless technology with IEEE 802.11 license excempt WiFi has
created engineering problems for those Wireless Internet Service Providers
(WISPs) who are attempting to deploy the only available alternative.  There
are thousands of WISPs out there.  Interference among WISPs is creating
quality of service problems.  Most WISP operations are now identified as
"hot spots" in the 2.4 GHz region.  USA WISPs also use 900 MHz and 5 GHz
spectrum.  Other countries use 3.5 GHz spectrum in addition.  You can find
them with a spectrum analyzer.  FCC is scrambling to provide more
frequencies to allow WISPs to deploy more favorable longer reach
alternatives to the WiFi approach.  Releasing 700 MHz unused TV channels and
opening up 3.5 GHz spectrum are also on their agenda.

IEEE 802.16-2004 license excempt (WiMAX), using authorized portions of 2-11
GHz spectrum,  is still not deployed because the chip isn't available until
next year.  Problem with this is the backhaul engineering and deployment
required up front.  It's like starting your own telephone company.  There is
federal funding out there for those who want to use wireless to provide
service in rural "last mile" communities, but how many startups are capable
of sifting through the federal red tape to make it happen?

Catch 22 in wireless broadband design has to do with Non-line-of-site (NLOS)
vs line-of-site (LOS), dB loss in the atmosphere caused by use of higher
frequencies, tower restrictions, and public abhorance to ugly antennas.
Find the elegant alternative to BPL and the battle can be made more robust.

Food for thought......"your reasoning is excellent - it's only your basic
assumptions that are wrong." (Anon.)

73,
Pete
W0RTT