[CQ-Contest] Getting Women into Contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Getting Women into Contesting
From: "Andrew Faber" <andrew.faber@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 08:07:27 -0700
I'm passing on this message to the reflector for Emily, P43E, who has had
trouble sending it to the reflector for some ISP reason:
  73, andy, ae6y

Hi all,

My message has been delayed as my message bounced twice.

Anyway, the way to get more women or other newcomers to the hobby, is by
getting someone enthusiastic about this branch of ham radio. Many have already
suggested the M/M format, and that is really a way to show someone what
contesting is all about while breaking it down in smaller pieces. One gets a
sense of what it takes, by being a team player and one can immediately share
into the succes of the MM. What a better way to get someone excited...

Besides, perhaps, a YL contest group has to be formed. Having a worldwide
format, and accessed by internet. No real meetings, except that at major
hamventions a session can be organized, so that the YLs can meet. (current YL
groups, none are dedicated contesting groups.) Through such a contest group, it
can allow other YL's to voice their concerns and have any questions answered by
other YLs. It's an idea that can be worked on, but the WWYC (young contesters
seem to have worked this out, and tey just had a nice get-to-gether meeting for
their 5th anniversary.) There seems to be a big support within WWYC as they
root for each other. Otherwise, many of these young contesters would have been
the only young kid in a national society or local club, and I am sure that you
feel left out, no matter how good the intentions of the rest of the club.

While the next point, does not recruit women into contesting, I believe it is a
point that has to be taken into account. It is why I feel some YL will not get
into contesting or will lnot devote more time to contesting. It is "Family life
and children in particular." It will be interesting to find out how many YLs
that actually have children (still at home) can really block off an entire
weekend for contesting uninterupted or fly away somewhere for a contest. I do
not see this as a big issue for men, as the wives will be home with the kids.
But the reverse will be interesting to know the answer. And how supportive are
the spouses??

73, 88, Emily

Emily Thiel, P43E, P.O.Box 614, ARUBA. p43e@hotmail.com http://www.qsl.net/p43e