[CQ-Contest] IOTA Contest, log submission update

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <iota-contest@yahoogroups.com>,<uk-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] IOTA Contest, log submission update
From: "Donald Field" <g3xtt@lineone.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:55:42 +0100
This is an update on log submissions for the IOTA Contest.

This year we have been trialling a two-stage submission process, where  you are
directed to a Web form after sending in your log. Unlike some contest
organisers, although we prefer Cabrillo logs, we are prepared to accept most
formats. However, this means we need to be sure we have collected the correct
entry info - category, island, etc. In the past this has taken a lot of manual
effort, which cannot really be sustained year after year. Even with Cabrillo
logs, not all logging programs collect the required entry data, so again it
helps if entrants confirm this via the Web form.

So far, we have received nearly 700 logs via this process, and although there
have been a few teething problems, the system now seems to have settled down.
We thank everyone for their patience. The main difficulty appears to have been
that we used Javascript for the Web form, whereas many entrants were using old
browsers which did not support this. Javascript has now been removed and
compatibility with older browsers improved!

Some quick points about submission:

1. The correct address for logs is iota.logs@rsgbhfcc.org We know that the
address has appeared incorrectly in some publications. If you have not received
a log acknowledgement, it may be that you sent it to the wrong address.
2. Please only send one attachment, the log itself. You can complete the entry
details when you are directed to the Web form.

3. There was a problem with an earlier SDICheck for those using EI5DI's SDI
program, which resulted in the first 12 QSOs being lost from the Cabrillo log.
This is fixed in the latest version of SDICheck (10.25). Please ensure your log
has no QSOs missing.
4. CT V10.01.008 <http://www.k1ea.com/download/ct10_01.zip> now supports
Cabrillo for IOTA (tnx K1EA). However, the first release set all QSOs to SSB
where the entry was mixed mode. Ken very quickly moved to fix this (an update
should be available imminently), but do check if you are sending a CT
submission for a Mixed Mode entry. For older versions of CT, we can accept the
.ALL or .BIN file.

5. WA7BNM has kindly developed a template on his Web page for typing in QSOs if
you have a small log and no means of creating the necessary submission. Many
thanks Bruce. Go to:  http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/iota_cab.php

6. You can find a list of logs submitted and activated to date at:
http://www.contesting.co.uk/hfcc/iota_online_logs.shtml
7. The deadline for log submission is the end of August.
8. More FAQs appear at: http://www.contesting.co.uk/hfcc/iota_faq.shtml

Conditions were pretty dire for this year's contest, but there were some good
scores all the same. Soapbox comments and photos  (send photos to the e-mail
address below) will be posted on the IOTA  section of the RSGB HF Contests
Committee Web page (www.rsgbhfcc.org ) in early September, and Claimed Scores
shortly afterwards.

 Don G3XTT
 IOTA Contest Manager