Re: [CQ-Contest] Recruiting Women into Contesting

To: "Merrimon Crawford Pladsen" <ab0mv@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Recruiting Women into Contesting
From: "Grillo's" <ah3c@frii.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:30:33 -0600
Merri -

So, rate is really not a challenge!  Wow, what a concept....

Are you familiar with the European "fox hunting" idea?  This is hiding a
transmitter and everyone trying to find it with directional antennas hooked
up to portable receivers, while running in the woods getting bearings until
the fox is found.  Each successful chaser is timed from the time the hunt
begins at a local gathering place to the time all have found the fox, or
time is up.  Winner is the one who found the fox in the shortest time.
These are local affairs that are great fun for all.  It could be set up as a
club activity in densly populated amateur radio communities.  Alas, such is
not the case in Colorado.

Maybe some version of this could be done by allocating YL stations to switch
call signs and frequencies in the middle of a contest so you would have to
find them all over again.  This is not a new concept, but introducing it now
might induce a spark....

Have you passed on the Elmer contest info to anyone in the club yet?

73,
Pete