Re: [CQ-Contest] Advantages not created equal

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Advantages not created equal
From: Roy Maull <rmaull@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:42:37 +0000
At 01:32 8/17/2004, you wrote:

On Aug 11, 2004, at 3:47 PM, <mark@nevus.org> wrote:

I lost count of how many "can you QSY to 10?" we had to turn down because of
the counterproductive and unnecessary 10 minute rule which should be
rescinded.  I wish those legions of tube-radio guys would upgrade to
solid-state radios so we could finally bag the 10 minute rule once and for
all.

The 10 minute rule, for all of its flaws, effectively eliminates the use of an "Octopus" station in the competition.

What other simple, enforceable rule would exile the octopus without any other deleterious effects?

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Bill,

The ten minute rule was applied to the SO class to squash the "so called" SO2R advantage. It originated for the MOST class with multiple radios to preclude their operating much like a MOMT station.
Although the SO2R station was inconvenienced a bit by this rule, the true SO1R small station that primarily works S&P was the most severely impacted. It hampers the flexibility needed to maximize the score by chasing mults from band to band as needed.
I have always considered this the worst rule ever applied to the SO class.

73.. Roy N8YYS Keep West Virginia Beautiful.. Grow ALUMINUM!!