[CQ-Contest] Re: [CTDXCC] CW Sprint: a W5 Team

To: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [CTDXCC] CW Sprint: a W5 Team
From: "Richard L. King" <k5na@texas.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:51:41 +0000
At 07:16 PM 8/24/2004, Jim George wrote:

Also, we also will support the minute of silence in memory of W4AN.

de W4PA:

In case you missed it in the last NCJ Sprint results, Tree N6TR asked
for a voluntary 1 minute silence at the 0000Z Sprint Sept 12 start in
memory of Bill. I intend to honor that request and would encourage
others to do so as well.

_

I realize that this suggestion is to show respect for W4AN's passing. But I think it is a really bad idea and not appropriate. I believe that Bill himself would think it is ridiculous to stop or pause a contest because a regular participant has passed away. This takes away from the seriousness of the Sprint.

I know that one minute isn't a long time, but it will be more significant if folks, that wanted to, would use the name "Bill" in the contest as a memorial. Also there will be a lot of people that won't get the word about the one minute of silence at the beginning and perhaps the inactivity will be confusing to them. The memorial would have been less intrusive if the voluntary minute of silence were at the end of the contest.

Who is the "we" referred to above, CTDXCC participants? Has the minute of silence has become mandatory?

Just my opinion.

73, Richard

k5na@texas.net