Re: [CQ-Contest] Don't we need to change the sprint protocol?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Don't we need to change the sprint protocol?
From: "Dennis Younker" <SunGodX@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:21:48 -0700
Perhaps the penalty for QSOs not in the other station's log should be increased to something like five QSOs. That would get the other station to wait long enough to hear the confirmation from the station he worked.
The station that initiated the QSO (and last to receive) is going to probably send a "dah" to confirm. If the station inheriting the freq doesn't hear it, he would then probably ask for a repeat confirmation. If the guy he just worked didn't QSY yet, he'll get the repeat confirmation. If he did move on, he won't and would probably remove the QSO from the log to avoid the hefty penalty. The guy that moved on too quickly though would get the penalty instead. (See the motivation for him to hang out a little bit longer?)

As you can see, it forces both stations to hang around on freq a few milliseconds longer. This might be okay to ensure fewer broken Q's but will also result in possibly slightly lower scores.

The rule makers will probably want to weigh how big a problem this is versus the impact before making a decision. Personally, it's been years since I have been in the mid 200 Q's and up area (due to being in an HOA area now-arggh!) but I don't find this to be a huge problem for me. It would be interesting to hear from others as to how big they perceive this to be.

--Dennis, NE6I

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Laney" <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>