Re: [CQ-Contest] Honda 2 kW generator , CQP

To: Haddon/N6ZFO <hounds1234@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Honda 2 kW generator , CQP
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:54:10 -0400

On Sep 27, 2004, at 1:28 AM, Haddon/N6ZFO wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the Honda
EU2000i generator?

Yes.

I bought one a couple of years ago to support my camping trailer. The eu2000i is the largest capacity "suitcase" generator. It is capable of 2000 watts output for 30 minutes (which is just barely enough to turn over the A/C in my trailer), or 1600 watts continuously.

The best feature of the eu2000i is the eco-throttle. Since this is a engine-generator connected to an inverter, it modulates the engine speed according to the load. If you lightly load the generator, the fuel will last a long time. You can't get 2000 watts out of the eco-throttle for any length of time. For maximum output, you'll have to switch the eco-throttle off.

If you need more power, or need a 240volt circuit, you can bridge two generators together with a special cable. (Which seems like an expensive option to me)

If you buy another cable, you can also get a 12V output, but it is only good for about 10 amps. It is designed to charge a battery.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901