RE: [CQ-Contest] cqww ssb spotting report

To: "'Bob, N5RP'" <n5rp@pdq.net>,"'reflector cq-contest'" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] cqww ssb spotting report
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:09:57 -0000

> It's just a contest !

say what?!?!  Saying cqww ssb is 'just a contest' is like saying that
the Americas Cup is just a weekend sailing around the harbor!
Personally I have spent uncountable hours over the last 6 months, and
many well totaled dollars, getting ready for the 3 cqww weekends.  And
don't try to say 'its just a contest' to the group of operators who
spend the weekends here in front of the radios!   I assume since you are
subscribed to this reflector that you have some interest in contesting.
Have you thought recently why its called contesting??  Because it's a
'contest' maybe??  And contests normally have rules, and having rules
means that someone is going to try to cheat to win.  And while the truly
altruistic among us may say that 'they are just cheating themselves', or
'its their loss'.  There are others who feel that if there are rules
they should be enforced... and there are also some who feel that while
there is a group of log checkers who should be looking at this stuff,
that takes too long and is only effective against blatant cheaters...
lots of others never get caught.   The way I do it we can apply peer
pressure right away while it is still fresh in our minds... and everyone
knows that someone is watching who isn't afraid of pointing out
questionable activities.  Hopefully someone will look at some of those
notes and mention it to the perpetrators and next time they will think
twice about trying to use the spotting network to improve their score.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net