Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders-enforcement IMPOSSIBLE!

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders-enforcement IMPOSSIBLE!
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 13 Nov 2004 08:08:32 -0600
On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 21:16, Ted KT1V wrote:
> Example: CQWW CW promises to enforce strict non self spotting rules and DQ
> self spotters, so I assume my competition's callsign, maybe WC1M because
> he's a little better than me, and make a few spots of him. Or maybe I go
> MM, and spot KC1XX using the calls of his ops during their off times. And
> knock off LPL and LR the same way.

If you do so via Internet, do not the nodes have a record of the IP
address used?  Is self-spotting important enough to cause KT1V to figure
out which ISP WC1M is using & take out an account on the same ISP?

If you do so via AX.25 over the radio, can you not be DF'd?  If I
self-spot using K4RO's call, it won't take much of an antenna to know
those packets aren't coming from Kirk's QTH.

Are we really afraid people will go to such lengths to keep their
self-spots?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66