[CQ-Contest] Finding a spot before the contest de VY1JA

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Finding a spot before the contest de VY1JA
From: "J. Allen" <vy1ja@northwestel.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:20:31 +0000
Hello All,

I read with concern a message speaking to my practice of finding a clear frequency before SS starts and working to keep a clear frequency to run on when SS begins. This was never intended to induce operators to operate outside the contest rules. The only references I can see in the rules are that non amateur means cannot be used during the contest and that the use of spotting is not allowed if you are in classes which do not permit it.

I plan to continue the practice of obtaining and holding a frequency before contest startup because it helps everyone to find their NT multiplier in the contest. The use of spotting nets to find me is unnecessary. Just tune and find VY1JA remembering that the MUF here is lower than in the south. I cannot see that this causes an unfair advantage to anyone nor do I believe it breaks the spirit of the rules. If this can jeapordize my contacts in YOUR logs, I hope that someone from ARRL will contact me before I try to get a clear spot before SS this year.

It was necessary to self-disqualify my CW SS log because the transmitter intermittently sent bad CW when sidetone sounded perfect. The keying was "sticky" so that dits would extend to sound like dahs and dahs shorten to sound like dits. This could result in my log containing a different number than that of the receiving operator, when he copied what was really sent. I have not yet found the cause with any certainty, nor can I make the transmitter/computer system repeat it.

It is a shame that only two ops mentioned any problems with my signal. I am using the same station, and if my signal is less poor in quality, please make me aware immediately.

There will be a number of operations going for SS Phone in NT this year and I will be taking my amp today to Bob, VY1MB to enhance his intended all-out operation. VY1JA will most likely be QRP this SS for the first time, and not be able to hold a frequency, so if you hear a faint "Juliet Alpha" on your run frequency, it might be NT.

VY1JA