[CQ-Contest] RE: The Next BIG Step in contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: The Next BIG Step in contesting
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:38:27 -0500
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 at 09:22:50 -0500, WB0WAO said:

I think it IS the next step in the "evolution" of contesting - but would a station that is running such software and NOT receiving spots be in the Assisted or Unassisted class? <sorry, just HAD to put that in!>

Assisted, of course - unlike the station who just listens to K1TTT on the air to figure out their strategy, a station running such software and learning about K1TTT's strategy and actions is getting that information from a helper.

One other point that should be obvious - if actual QSO information is posted, that would be an open invitation to cheating by non-participating eavesdroppers who could make use of the information to massage their own logs during the contest (for example, don't bother copying the serial number the other station sends to you, just find it out from the real-time data).

I am probably missing something here, but I am not too sure whether real-time posting of data to the Web would be of very much interest to most unassisted single operator stations (whether SO1R or SO2R). I think the main audience would be either casual participants and spectators or multi-operator stations. The cost to a serious single op in time and attention taken away from operating would probably more than offset any gain. I suspect that is also the main reason why assisted single-op scores are usually lower than the top unassisted scores. Indeed, doesn't the main drive for innovations like this come from multi-ops, in order to solve the problem of what to do with extra operators with time on their hands waiting for their next shift in front of a radio? <grin>

73,
Rich VE3IAY