RE: [CQ-Contest] SS Rules

To: "'N7MAL'" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] SS Rules
From: "Gary McAdams" <g.m.mcadams@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:08:28 -0800
Hello Guys...

I have been following this debate, and I wanted to ask Mal a question:

Mal, N7MAL SEZ:

>Therefore the Check will always be 57 because that is the Check of N7MAL,
>the station licensee. Our FCC rules regarding this subject are not
>ambiguous even though, especially during contests, they are frequently
>violated. ARRL contest rules do not supercede FCC rules.
>Best 73
>
>MAL               N7MAL

Mal,

Are you saying that FCC has rules pertaining to contests?

Yes, there are FCC regulations pertaining to station identification, but
none of them require us to identify the date of our first license. You are
making a mountain of a molehill here aren't you?

I had agreed with the first couple of respondents to your first message, but
I wanted to wait until there had been some prior comments, because I tend to
be a little sarcastic sometimes.

Mal, I think that you are off base on this one. It's just a contest. FCC
rules do not cover contest operation, except that station identification is
required at the appropriate times. Station identification consists of your
call sign, in English, at ten minute intervals and at the end of the
contact. Any additional information such as your check, birthday, shoe size,
etc. may be required by the contest sponsor, but not by the FCC.

OK? Thanks

73, Gary WG7X

FCC Regulation sections: [97.119 (a),(b)]