[CQ-Contest] Re: SO2R Again

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: SO2R Again
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:27:41 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
I need to echo Bill and Chuck's comments on this.

I was minimal, but effective SO2R, for years.  Main rig, TS530, 2nd radio IC706
(doubled as mobile and DXpedition rig), homebrew speaker/mic/key box, separate
feed lines into shack, couple of 1x6 and 1x2 manual switches, and TRLog.  Yes,
I have now graduated up to the WX0B six pack, dunestars, etc.

HOWEVER

The investment I have made into going SO2R is not even half of my investment
recently to move up to competitve antennas on a 70 foot 45G tower.

There is just no way anyone can tell me that SO2R should be a separate category
yet guys with no tower or an A3 at 40 feet and a trap dipole on 40 - 160 should
be in the same category as me with my tower and monoband yagiis.  I think
separating by power level makes sense.  Single transmitted signal makes sense.
After that, let innovation and hard work determine competition.

Last year, I lost the CQ WW CW contest to a guest Op at K8CC's superstation.
Admittedly, I have an advantage being in VT vs. Dave's MI QTH, but I couldn't
overcome the antenna advantage being driven by a great Op.  Good for him, I
take my hat off to him.  I have no idea whether he was SO2R or not, but it
didn't matter.  I lost it to Dave's stacked monobanders on 20 and his very high
40M monobander.

If someone gets frustrated that they can't compete without SO2R, then get on as
best you can (as described here).  If you get consistently beat out by a higher
placed guy on a band (like I do by N1SV's great 4 square), improve your signal
on that band.  Don't ask the rest of us to come down a level because you don't
want to put in what's required to be competitve.  You will be surprised how
effective you can be with wire antennas, small low beams, a minimal SO2R
set-up, and a winning attitude.

Ed  N1UR